Sunday 27 January 2013


Mumbai: Bollywood king Shahrukh Khan has exposed so-called secular face of world largest democracy: India, expressing his agony he is facing for being born as a Muslim.

SRK shared his pain in an emotive first person article titled Being a Khan for Outlook Turning Points magazine, published in association with The New York Times newspaper.

King Khan revealed that many politicians asked him to go back to his native homeland, Pakistan, after 9/11 incident.

In his article Being a Khan SRK wrote, “I sometimes become the inadvertent object of political leaders who choose to make me a symbol of all that they think is wrong and unpatriotic about Muslims in India. There have been occasions when I have been accused of bearing allegiance to our neighboring nation (Pakistan) rather than my own country – this even though I am an Indian, whose father fought for the freedom of India. Rallies have been held where leaders have exhorted me to leave and return what they refer to my ‘original’ homeland.”


Shahrukh, who married Gauri, a Hindu has two children – Aryan and Suhana. “I gave my son and daughter names that could pass for generic (pan-India and pan-religious) ones – Aryan and Suhana,” said SRK.

“The Khan has been bequeathed by me so they can’t really escape it. I pronounce it with my epiglottis when asked by Muslims and throw the Aryan as evidence of their race when non-Muslims enquire. I imagine this will prevent my offspring from receiving unwarranted eviction orders or random fatwas in the future,” explained Khan.

SRK said that he was pressed to make the film My Name is Khan in a bid to prove a point after being repeatedly detained in US airports because of his last name.

“Ironically, I was interrogated at the airport for hours about my last name when I was going to promote the film in America for the first time,” said King Khan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment